View Single Post
Old February 3rd, 2004, 11:55 AM
Senior Contributor

To me, it sounds like this puppy is bored and frustrated. This is a dog who needs a lot of exercise. Is she getting it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like she spends most of her life alone in the yard...?? She is of two breeds who do not do well left alone all the time. They need to part of the family, and included in your life and activities.

Digging comes very naturally to some dogs. I have a pit bull who would rather dig than do anything else, almost.

Hitting and tying up your dog is going to do no good at all. As you see, it doesn't stop the digging, but makes her do it when you aren't around (at night)

I suggest fencing an area of the garden just for her to dig in. Hide little treats in the ground for her to find. Also, take her for long walks, play ball or frisbee with her. Practice obedience. Tire her out - she needs this and will be less interested in digging if she has other diversions.

Bring your dog in the house with you at night - she'll be much happier not being alone.

Dogs left out in backyards often develop behavior problems.