View Single Post
Old June 17th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Any advice truly would be appreciated

I will be renting a cottage for a week next month and bringing my 11 year old grandson and his friend along for the week. We do this usually every year and would leave the kitties behind at home with a daily visit from a pet service for feeding and litter tidy up.
This year, one of our cats has had numerous medical problems and is still a bit shakey from a neuro condition, so we decided he would come along to the cottage with us because he requires 4 different meds each day and also must be monitored for his bowel movements. I know the sitter who always takes our home for us from the service, and she is very good, but because of this guy's condition, would feel better if I was supervising his care and knew for sure that he was getting his meds etc.
My concern, and this is really starting to cause me anxiety, is the cottage is small, with a wooden screen door type closure. I plan to bring a play pen with me to keep Quincy in on the deck when we are outside, with a netting over top to keep him protected (he cannot really jump at this point, so he will not be able to jump out), but I am having disaster nightmares of him slipping out the door with the kids running in and out. I plan to sit them down and be tough about watching the door, but boys are boys and outside is outside. A big thing for city boys. At home, Quincy never shows any desire to get outside, but I am afraid in a new enviroment he may be frightened and bolt. This cottage is really in the woods.
Any suggestions about how to handle this? I am considering just trying to have faith in the sitter who will be coming in for my other 3 kitties, but it has really been a tough 6 months for this poor guy and I fear any backsliding by him health wise if he is not continually watched. I have tried to find someone to come in and "house sit", but the cost for the service to do this for a week is almost more than the cost of the cottage for a week and we do not have any family or really know our neighbours, so there is no one to ask.
Feedback? Suggestions? Just plain comments to try and relieve some anxiety?
Thanks.