View Single Post
Old January 24th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Chow Pei Rescue

Quote:
've stopped feeding whole large chickens and chicken legs/thighs only because two of my dogs don't always digest the bones (they tend to not chew properly) so I've been feeding more chicken necks instead. I've been trying but am finding it difficult to get small young chickens (under 2 lbs). I've read that the bones are softer and more easily digestible
What you are saying is actually in reverse. Chicken necks are not food of merit for a raw diet under any circumstances. The legs, thighs are far more meaty than necks. We have to strive for an 80% meat to bone ratio and that is certainly not necks. Normally if necks are fed they should still be attached to the chicken and not loose. If you are seriously considering feeding an appropriate raw diet of merit, please disregard chicken necks. Most often this is a cut purchased by people who don't want to spend money on quality meats or some people don't truly understand raw meaty diets. (it's not my intent to insult anyone here please be aware of that)

If you find that your dogs are eating legs too fast, it means the pieces are too small. You have to upgrade to a 1/4 or half chicken. Please don't go smaller, always go bigger.

Last edited by MerlinsHope; January 24th, 2008 at 07:20 PM. Reason: spelling corrections