View Single Post
Old September 15th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase_Mom View Post
IMO, if you don't want dogs to come near you, you shouldn't be at a dog park. But I can be a tad bitchy about some things and this might be one of them....other people may understandably not agree. But I have heard people whining about "Get that dog away from me" at dog parks, and my personal opinion is that if they don't like it, they can leave.

There is a difference though, between a dog that approaches to say hello and a dog that is being rude. If a dog jumps up on strangers, that is just bad manners. I once had a dog do this to me repeatedly at the park, covering me in mud, and the owner actually laughed about how cute it was! I had to push the dog down and tell if "Off!" a number of times, and being in a position where you have to discipline someone elses's dog does not feel good!

If you feel uneasy about Ivy's behaviour, then I think that says that maybe she was a bit too close for comfort to the other people. I'd just practice your recall command and make sure that it is good and solid, so that you can direct her back to you once she says a brief hello.
I think this person says it all very well. The point about the recall command is the most valuable information.