View Single Post
Old October 6th, 2005, 09:08 PM

When I adopted my dog she was what we thought was dog aggressive (turns out she was never socialized), so I didn't bother with other dogs at first, I worked on her obedience so that she would always be looking to me for direction. When out walking I would put her in a sit and say watch me (using a treat at first) so that the other dog wasn't important, I was. This worked well as I had control over her and she didn't even care about the other dogs. Once we were at that point I would take her to doggy parks and work her on leash, first far away, then closer and closer, eventually right in the thick of things and free, I did muzzle her the first time off leash as I didn't know what she would really do but thankfully all the work paid off and she was perfect! If you are tense, the dog will react, if you are leary don't do it as it won't be fun. Take things nice and slow. IF you are really worried the best way is to buy a cage muzzle, that way there is no chance of her biting and you will most likely be relaxed, remember to always praise good behaviour. If she's being naughty don' t make a fuss just walk away confidently and she will follow you. If you know she's iffy with other dogs I strongly suggest the muzzle, just for safety sake