View Single Post
Old September 1st, 2008, 11:09 AM

I'm not "pro-toilet" but I am for choice

I find myself wanting to address two things here. Toilet training (the original matter) and respect and tact. Obviously toilet training is the discussion at hand but its hard to make constructive, helpful developments in a discussion without respect and tact.

But back to toilet training...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTYcat View Post
The individual whom you appear to be supporting has yet to explain how s/he will determine the frequency of her/his cat's urination, the amounts of urine, the colour of the urine, whether/not there may be blood in the urine, the consistency of the cat's stool, the amount of stool, the content of the stool, whether/not there is blood in the stool. S/he has yet to explain how, years from now, when their aged, arthritic cat can no longer mount "the throne" and hold himself there, they will be able to retrain for the litterbox. (Given everything else I have heard from this individual, however, I have no qualms suggesting that, when that time comes, so will the declaration that the cat's quality of life will have deteriorated to the point where it will have to be euthanized (remember, because it can no longer "use the toilet")
While written quite provocatively, obviously there are some relevant points here. It is clear that RUSTYcat knows and cares quite a bit about cats. Let me remind RUSTYcat that while I will not claim what I know, I do care quite a bit as well, and that is the reason why I still care what you have to say. I want to give careful consideration to your thoughtful points despite the manner in which they've been stated.

I should note that JennieV isn't necessarily supporting me, but she is supporting my right not to be attacked in the forums, which is admittedly how I have felt at times although I never take it personally. My point here is that while RUSTYcat and others have the intent to address the issue, it is being perceived as an attack and if one is not okay with that, then one should consider less offensive language than " By contrast, the OP . . . had the common sense and the intelligence..." and "Perhaps, if you were to review (actually read and get an understanding of) those arguments..." If, however, you are okay with that perception of an attack, then of course you have the right to continue, and I can just sift through and find the useful stuff, no problem.

So, first to clarify, I'm female. It seems obvious to me that the points above regarding the monitoring of urine and feces are, indeed, salient ones. So, I start thinking about how effectively I do these things now with the litter box....... It can be difficut for me to determine the frequency, amount, and color of urination in Crusher's litter box currently because the FelinePine asborbs very well and his daily urinations get mixed in with the standing pine shavings. I have never used a regular clay litter but perhaps it makes monitoring urination much easier than with pine pellets? If so, it seems, compared to clay litter, that the toilet provides a problem for monitoring and the FelinePine does too. Using the toilet method, I may only be able to see that he has peed since last flush, blood and perhaps the color, and what I observe from the bathroom while he is going. The hourly frequency and amount would be hard to tell while I'm not at home, but I have to wonder, how do other people tell these things with their litter unless they are watching? What I'm saying is, I can't tell the color, amount, or frequency now as it stands (except that he has gone since I last cleaned and there is no blood.) If he were going in the toilet, I might see the color better, I couldn't tell the amount, and I could only tell that he has gone since last flush and there is no blood. Then there is the stool. As it stands now, I scoop the poop out of the litter box (coated in pine dust,) and drop them in the toilet where I can see and inspect them quite well. And, as I've stated before, I'm not opposed to fishing one out of the toilet once in a while for closer inspection. RUSTYcat, do you think this sounds like a sufficient method for inspecting the stool and, if so, in your experienced though (assumed?) unprofessional opinion, how frequently should I do this? I realize you have "deliberately chosen to ignore" me, but I hope you'll reconsider because I do appreciate your experience.

Your second point concerns the future whereupon Crusher will become an older, (possibly/probably?) arthritic cat. My previous assumption was that it would be easy to revert to the litter box since it is, indeed, the more instinctual "natural" option. Do most people predict this would not be possible? If he became less agile or arthritic in his senior years and I put a litter box next to the toilet, would he continue to try to use the toilet? I thought that would be unlikely but, if so, then this is a real cause for consideration. I would appreciate the input of people who have experience with older cats.

I should mention that I will consult my vet and that the input found on this forum will only be used for consideration.

And finally, there is the un-ignorable suggestion that I will euthanize my cat simply because he cannot use the toilet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTYcat View Post
Given everything else I have heard from this individual, however, I have no qualms suggesting that, when that time comes, so will the declaration that the cat's quality of life will have deteriorated to the point where it will have to be euthanized (remember, because it can no longer "use the toilet")
I can see that I really must reconsider the things I write and try to be even more thoughtful and careful because I have apparently given RUSTYcat the impression that I am a fickle, superficial, heartless bitch.