View Single Post
Old March 3rd, 2012, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovNKyra View Post
I swear I try, and try, but it just feels like I'm fighting a losing battle. At the moment she seems to not be getting any worse, but nowhere near any better either. Now she has allot of flaking dandruf, and still continues to scratch, and chew. Should I increase the baths to every day? Is there an over the counter something I can get for yeast infections?
I know that when vets are fighting a yeast infection, they do require special baths, rather frequently, but I don't know how often.

I know that Pau D'Arco gets at some yeast infections, but I don't know about this type. Oil of Oregano does too. I wonder about adding some coconut oil to the meals, since it is antibacterial and antifungal.

The following supplements come first to mind....

biotin for skin health
vitamin A, in the form of fish oil
vitamin E, mixed tocopherols, and.....

DarKeys mentioned hormonal issues, which made me think of melatonin. It is used in some special hormonal skin and fur issues that some dogs get called Alopecia X.

However, it can also increase IgA levels, and IgA is what is used to protect skin and mucous membranes. You might try adding 3 mg each night before bedtime (the natural time melatonin levels should rise). My boy was IgA deficient and I did this for him too. I think it helped. He was terminal, but we were able to keep him going for many many months.

I also think sulphur is good, either using a remedy, or even adding MSM.