Thread: The Greyhound
View Single Post
Old November 18th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith_rizel
Is anyone else on this site against racing animals, for entertainment. Both my husband and I are 100% against horse and dog races, just because we think that it is cruel to have an animal that it;s only purpose is to race and win. Poor things.
I'm not against the actual racing of the animals. I don't think there is anything cruel about that. I don't see the difference between that, or flyball, or agility, or any of the other sports involving animals. Some of the horses are treated very well. I don't know enough about greyhounds to have a real opinion. I am very much against the way they are often treated when they are retired, but I don't think this has anything to do with the sport, more the individuals involved with the sport.

As for the rodeo, I am against most of it. I've talked to people about the steer roping, and I've been told that a lot of the calves see it as a game. At first I found this hard to believe, but I look at the way Daisy and I play, and I suppose it's possible. Again, I don't know enough about it to have an opinion. You either hear from those involved who say that it isn't cruel, or those who really don't know any more than what they see on TV and say it is.

Bottom line--I'm for treating animals humanely, and anything that involves cruelty should be outlawed.