View Single Post
Old September 24th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoLostSouls View Post
You are confusing punishment with discipline. You are attempting to turn your dog into a human. Dogs are not human and don't think like we do. They are immensely pragmatic and our language means nothing to them.

Nobody said positive re-enforcement was bad, but you can't re-enforce bad behaviour nor is there a way to stop it by using "positive" methods. Perhaps you can explain how making your dog submit is bad. I guess you haven't figured out putting a dog into a submissive position actually calms it down from the upset or excited state it is in at that time.

If your child wants to jump off a balcony, do you stop it or do you say "Good boy" when it doesn't jump off? Everything Cesar teaches works.
And you need to read more of my posts. Neither one of my dogs is anywhere close to human nor are they treated in any way, shape or form like my children.

A barking, growling dog is issuing a warning. Period. When a growling, barking dog starts chasing a threat (ie. the big dog, in this situation) then the adreneline is already flowing and forcing the dog into a submissive position can, and often does, lead to a redirected bite. Every single reputable trainer or training organization that has every recommended Alpha Rolls has since changed their position. Except, of course, Ceasar.

If my child wants to jump of a balcony - I sure don't pin them to the floor until they agree with me! What I would do would most certainly depend on the age of the child and it wouldn't involve strong arming the child and probably would involve praise.

I am sure that everything Ceasar says works. However, my dogs behave because I taught them to with consistancy and praise - not with strong arm tactics and fear.