View Single Post
Old June 1st, 2012, 08:44 AM

10 year old daschund has kidney failure

Hi all I'm a new member with a 10 year old daschund. He was diagnosed with an acute kidney failure on Wednesday, and the vet has found some sort of mass above his penis, close to the prostate but not sure whether it's inside or outside the prostate. We do not want to do surgery now because his urime (not sure how to pronounce) is quite high and there is a possibility of dying after surgery because of intoxication. So for the time being we are trying to lower it down and see how he goes in a week with fluid given from the doctor to help him lower the urime down.

The doctor has given him prescription k/d dog food for him and he didnt like it at all, so we tried to mix it with his normal diet and he ate like crazy. He sleeps all day and very weak, but he drinks and pees a lot which is good. So my question is, is k/d the best thing to feed him? Or can I make a home cooked food that is as good with k/d's effectivenes? And I read that giving high protein food is not good for dogs with kidney failure, so what type of food is good and bad for him. Please educate me.
I desperately need help and suggestions because Cookie is our life in the family and losing him would crush all of us. We are all praying for him to get better and for a miracle.

Thank you.