View Single Post
Old April 12th, 2004, 11:57 PM

My crabs don't live in a jar. They have a pretty large aquarium for 2 2inch crabs with a heater and better water parameters then that of the stuff I drink. And I think it's a lot better then them being eaten by sea gulls on the beach.

How much do they cost?
About $6 each

What do they eat?
I feed mine crab pellets mainly. Occasionally they get left over bloodworms from my puffers. And plant clippings from my other aquariums. None of that is expensive.

Do they require a large tank?
I would never keep more then 2 in a 10g tank. But you could also get other fish as long as they were fast and didn't like sleeping on the bottom. (or else they'll be dinner)

Do they require a heater or light?
I don't have a heater on my tank, but i keep an eye on the temp. They like 72-77F. I have a cheap ergonomic light over top of the tank. So no expensive hood or anything. And a cheap Aquaclear filter. Crabs are messy eaters.

Are they expensive to keep?
Putting aside the start up cost of the tank, no. you'll have to buy a $5 can of food like every 6 months.

Just keep in mind that crabs are incredible escape artists. I had to cut my own tight fitting plexi glass lid so they couldn't escape. (being out of water for more then 4 hours will kill them)

Search for "sesarma bidens" on google and you'll find a ton of hits.