View Single Post
Old February 10th, 2010, 12:53 PM

Thank you all.
Tundra_Queen, when I read the many books to determine which breed of dogs would be most appropriate for us, I clearly remember reading that Westies do not like to be left alone and this is absolutely true.

We got them when we were slowly transitioning towards full retirement. I worked from home, doing on line training and consulting, and Buddy and Cleo quickly understood the >Mommy has to work, so you have to be quiet>. While I was on line, they would both sleep on the couch in front of my desk and the minute I turned off the desk lamp, two little heads would come up and of course, they got a treat for being good babies. They have developed to be <couch potatoes> up until about 2 in the afternoon and the only interruption is their morning walk around 10:30am.

We are both in our 60's, are both calm and gentle, have a quiet house, other than having the TV on most of the time (if we are not watching, it is on CNN) and somehow they love that.

If you work outside of the house, that may not be a good breed for you.
We noticed that when we go out for dinner or something, Cleo just cuddles up on the couch with Buddy for reassurance.

Westies will do anything to please their master(s). Yell at a Westie and they become very stubborn and will completely ignore you.

My husband worked really hard to socialize them with children of all ages and with dogs of all sizes. They are now just so very good with our 16-month old granddaughter.

They get 2 walks daily and they will let you know when it is time, (except if it is pouring rain) cause they hate that. When we moved here, hubby used to take them to the beach once a week but now, they can't handle that. They both are getting old and both have luxated patellas (and Cleo's had hip surgery).

As for chewing, never had a problem. We had computer wires hanging everywhere and the only thing they went after was the corner of a shelf in my office and I took care of that by gently spraying them with water and vinegar (they don't like that smell).

They are extremely affectionate, love to cuddle, they take over our king size bed, they own the house and we just pay the bills.

Westies was definitely the right breed for us and I am happy I did all the reading and research before going out and getting a dog.

Hope this gives you an idea of the Westies.

Cheers