Thread: Husky/Lab mix
View Single Post
Old July 6th, 2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsis261279 View Post
Thank you very much for the info Rgeurts. As for the exercise, the new puppy will get a lot of it due to us being a very active family and he will also socialize withe children because I have 3 of my own (aged10/5/4) but the only down side is that I do not know anyone else that has a dog or dogs that my new baby will be able to play with due to the fact that I am somewhat new to the area but I will do my best to ensure that he gets friends that are 4 legged
Thank you
Julie
Oh, he's a cutie, all right

Be a bit cautious exercising the puppy for the first couple of months - large breeds' joints tend to mature later that those of smaller breeds and you want to avoid overexerting the puppy.
Ideally puppy will have a grassy area to run and play with your family and other, trusty, dogs and will be allowed to stop and rest when feeling tired. Take your clues from him at the beginning. I would avoid long walks on the street/sidewalk or at least limit them to about 10 minutes at a time. Also, don't let him jump too much - the Frisbee should wait until probably 6-7 months.

Oh, and don't worry about being new to your area - after we got out puppy we found out with great surprise how many of our neighbors have friendly dogs :-)