View Single Post
Old November 22nd, 2001, 01:44 AM

Unhappy Overly Enthusiastic Dog!

I have a 2 1/2 year old pointer cross (adopted from the pound at about 4 to 6 months of age). The vet suspects that she's about 90% pointer, 10% bull-terrier or pit-bull. Needless to say, being part pointer, she has a very high energy level. The exercise thing is not an issue as I have a 1/2 acre fenced back yard. The issue is when I have company. She goes absolutely nuts! She is totally friendly and loves people but she just won't quit. Strange children are not a problem -- she does her thing for a few minutes and then pretty much ignores them. But adults! Wow! It's terrible! I don't entertain very much at all (like, 6 times a year) so it's not like I can expose her to numerous situations. It's not that she's barking at them -- she's constantly trying to get onto their laps, lick their faces, get them to play with her, etc. A non-stop bundle of tongue and energy! Other than this one issue, she's perfectly trained, knows all the tricks, walks well on a leash (with a Halti), automatically sits whenever I stop walking, retrieves, gives, blah, blah, blah. I have concluded (from reading) that obedience training probably won't help. That it's a socialization problem of some kind. She behaves much the same way in other family member's houses (although not nearly as bad) and is perfectly behaved in stores when she's leashed. It's at the point where I hate to have any adults visit at all and I have stopped taking her with me on visits to grandparents (they just can't deal with it). Once she gets going, she won't listen to me any more and, other than shutting her in a room or possibly tying her to the furniture, I just can't stop her.

Help! I'm at the end of MY leash!

Oh, and if it helps, I'm her adored one. If the other people have a dog, that's another issue. And if that dog dares to come near me... it's a snap-fest. But only if she's in a house (her own or the other dog's) -- she doesn't do the "defend the mother" thing if it's outside. In fact, her best doggy friend lives next door and often comes to visit but I've NEVER let him in the house.