View Single Post
Old March 11th, 2009, 03:20 PM

I find the easiest way to train a dog is to work with only it's inherent drives.
To train effectively using drives you MUST have both consequence and reward. Training without one or the other will result in half-hearted performances and training that may be effective, but definately won't reach it's potential. I don't ever use any kind of method without both of these aspects. For me it's the golden rule and the easiest for the dog to understand.

That being said, I use a variety of methods, according to each individual. I don't think there is one way to train, not at all.

For my dogs specifically I use a ball or tug. They are high prey drive dogs, whom would do backflips for a chase. I don't reward all the time, just a few times a session to keep them motivated and intense. My dogs will work well with no reward, but I preffer them being extra ampped up doing the routine with gusto and enthusiasm....anticipating the prey item.

I don't use food on my dogs, simple because the food drive is very low.....so why would that motivate them. I will however use food on dogs with a high food drive and low everything else. I don't think it matters what you use to motivate the dog as long as you have enough common sense to use moderation. If you have a keen eye and are famliar with dog behavior, it doesnt take much to realize that the dog is a little bit too eager for the treat and nothing else....in which case, more commands, less treats, less often, yet still enough to motivate.

You have to remember that regardless of the method, the goal is to promote consistent behavior in one way or another, this can be acheived so many ways, more easily with consequence AND reward.

Bailey, form what I have gathered you are strictly against the use of food in training. I'm curious how you would go about teaching a dog to track without the use of food.