View Single Post
Old April 7th, 2006, 11:04 AM

I too agree with what Tenderfoot has said. Crate training is a wonderful skill to have. It is one that can be used during recovery time after a surgery.

When Misty had her knee surgery a few years ago, she had to be confined and a small room was not going to cut it. She wasn't allowed to get up and walk without someone supporting her back end and even then she was only allowed to go to the bathroom and back in. The vet was extremely happy to hear that Misty was crate trained and enjoyed her crate. It helped us and her in her recovery. I still believe that her quick recovery was in large part do to the crates assistance in helping us keep Misty quiet and calm. She wasn't stressed as she loves her crate. Of course we did take her out and allow her to stay with us in the living room, bedroom, etc., as long as she didn't get up and walk around.

Also due to Misty's medical conditions, she is required to spend some time at the vet's office every now and then for tests. The vet office staff always tell me how well behaved she is in the kennels. They tell me that she never barks nor whines, she just lies down and naps. They are usually shocked since most beagles are extremely vocal when confined. But, Misty enjoys her crate for naps. To her it is a safe area and she feels secure which helps in stressful times like these.