View Single Post
Old November 6th, 2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2 View Post
Benazepril for blood pressure and suggested to get pepid ac, as CRF cats are known to have stomache upset.
Did they actually check her blood pressure & what was the number do you know? Or did they put her on the bp meds because of the CRF?

Quote:
As for behaviour, the only real change is in the morning she is very agitated, I have to get up feed her and then she will settle down.
When they get hungry & aren't fed promptly sometimes the stomach acid will cause nausea since there is nothing in their stomach for it to work on, and that makes them cranky, especially if she knows the nausea is coming soon. My grrl usually gets me up around 5-530am for breakfast too

Quote:
Her gums around her teeth seem pale and when she eats her food, which is wet, plus I add water to it, it's like she has to chew it, like it's too dry?? She is dehydrated. I talked to the vet about Sub-q fluids and she is hesitant due to the Sub-q's causing hyper tension in cats and screwing up the electrolytes in the body?

There is no phosphorus reading on the blood work, I guess they forgot that one?
Re Phosphorus on the test, depends on which test they ran, most of the standard tests do check for phos, calcium, potassium etc.

Did the bloodtest have RBC, WBC, Hgb, PCV, HCT, MCV on it?

A couple of the symptoms you've mentioned (pale gums, lack of appetite, vomiting, lip licking, that specific "chewing" action with the watered wet food, blood pressure meds) are making me think anaemia. To check for this the Packed Cell Volume or Haematocrit needs to be tested. Ask your vet about checking the red blood cell levels for anaemia before she is anaesthetized. While she is looking at her teeth she can also check for mouth ulcers which are also common in CRF cats, can cause lack of appetite & the teeth-grinding-like chewing.

Quote:
As for drinking more, not that I noticed and as for peeing more not that I noticed and with a muti cat house hold I can't tell by looking in the kitty litter. I don't think she is going any more than usual. No one is the house hold has loose bowels, sometimes the stool can be dry and small.
Most likely she is peeing more considering she is not concentrating her urine as she should be, plus drinking more to compensate for the water loss, this is reflected in the dehydration & the small dry poops. Often the CRF cat's body will pull water from everywhere (including poop) in order to reuse it throughout the body (which is why they normally concentrate urine), this attests to their desert heritage & low frequency of water drinking.

Quote:
Any suggestions on the dehydration?
Depending on Tus' disposition you can have the vet show you how to properly syringe-feed water, this stresses many cats out far more than the benefit of the additional water so that may be a deciding factor there. There is also the option of a water fountain - some prefer running water, or adding a small amount of flavouring to the water - boiling a plain no salt added chicken breast & using some of the now-chicken-flavoured-water from that to add into the bowl.

The hair loss on the back leg could just be ill-health related, unless she is reacting to fleas, laundry soap from the blankets, etc. Have you noticed her washing alot there? Is she pulling the hair out?

Re the acne - what type of bowls do you use for food & water? Plastic? Stainless steel? Plastic bowls have been known to harbour bacteria even after repeated washings which may cause feline acne in some cats as they contact the sides of the dish.

Through the years I've also noticed my dogs & cats (who don't use plastic bowls, except for the current water fountain) have gotten short duration acne in their "teen years" 12-15yrs that clears up fairly quickly not to return.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying