View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2012, 09:54 PM

Fraudulent Rescues in Manitoba

I am a brand new member from Manitoba. I breed a specialty line of small Poodles. Many of of my babies are ordered long before they are born. As a Senior, I want to prepare for the coming years, and am carefully/reluctantly rehoming some of my beloved pets. Yes, I breed, but my Poodles are my family, they are not garbage to be thrown out when I am done with them.

To make a long story short, last week I had 4 of my dear babies stolen. I'll try to be brief, but basically I am searching to try and find out if there are others who have been conned by this Manitoba Rescue.

In a nutshell, a dear and highly respected friend of mine (a physician) referred a woman to me, who claimed to have loving homes for some of my dogs I wished to rehome.My friend strongly urged me to listen to this woman whom she had referred, as she felt she was very dedicated to animals and had access to finding wonderful homes.

I was very specific in what I wanted for each dog, this woman claimed to have owners that matched my requirements exactly. Not once in the transactions did she mention the Rescue with whom she was associated. I had no idea I was dealing with a Rescue.

I groomed up the 4 dogs that were leaving, bath, fresh clip, bows, nail polish, even the boys had glitter on their nails, perfume, each one left with a jacket. As hard as it was to say goodbye, she had me convinced that with the individual homes she had found, they would be very happy. The agreement was, that if things did not work, on either end, my dogs would be returned to me. She said she could not give me their information, but assured me that they would contact me with updates and photos.

Imagine my surprise and heartbreak when I saw their photos posted on the website of this Rescue, each one being sold 'to cover costs of spay & neuter', about $400. For one of the dogs, they even stole a puppy photo from my website and posted it as being my girl, a 2 1/2 year old Miniature Poodle.

I am trying to get my dogs back, but I am dealing with lunatics. I do have their papers, they are Registered with CKC to me as being their legal owner, they are microchipped. The Animal Hospital that has spayed and neutered them, has done so without my permission. I have called them and told them the dogs are stolen, I do have their papers, they do not have permission for surgery, but they have gone ahead with surgeries anyway, and hang up when I call.

In the meanwhile, this Rescue group has threatened me with numerous things, including threats to come in and seize all my Poodles, most of which are Teacups and Tiny Teacups that would not survive without the special care and Teacup knowledge required to care for them.

In order to protect myself and my dogs, I have called the Provincial Vet Department and have asked them to come in to do an Inspection. I hesitate to call the Police until I have this inspection done, as I do not want to risk the possibility of this Rescue having someone come in to seize my dogs, as they have threatened.

In the meanwhile, I am quietly searching for others in the area who may have had this same experience, and also any advice from others would be appreciated. My dogs are my heart and soul. Friends tell me that perhaps I can rest assured thinking they are in loving homes, and perhaps they are. But when I rehome my dogs, I want to know what loving homes they are in, and more importantly, will these loving homes still love them in the future. Or will a life change cause them to dump one of my babies in a shelter, a new boyfriend, a change of lifestyle, a move, any one of a number of things. I want my babies back to be rehomed to my satisfaction.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had a similar experience. And please, no blasting about breeding dogs. My dogs are my life, if you don't believe in breeders, everyone is entitled to their beliefs, but there are ways to fight your cause; stealing beloved Pets is not one of them.