Thread: How soon
View Single Post
Old August 14th, 2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith22 View Post
My dog Wolf has been diagnosed with bladder cancer and the tumor can't be removed. This is breaking my heart he is 91/2 years old and one of the smartest most lovable dogs. He is a Blue Heeler/Shep cross.
He is under palliative care with us and so far seems to be gaining weight, but we know that could change quickly and we have to accept that and know we are lucky to have the extra time with him.
My question is I will defiantly get another puppy but how soon is my question. My husband works shift and I am alone a lot, I have tons of time to spend with a new puppy, but I just do not know when to do this. I even thought about now to give Wolf some fun in his latter days, but I really don't think that is a good idea.
I know I could not stand not having a dog, they make your life so much fuller and the love they show makes your days to matter how bad seems so much lighter. I will add I am having health problems of my own and Wolf has been with me through it all.
So if you can make out this mess I just typed thanks, I look forward to your help.
Hi Judith22,

First of all, so sorry to hear about Wolf.

I think if it were me in this situation, I would just focus on spending however much time you have left with Wolf (it could be days, months, maybe even longer), and worry about getting a pup after he has passed on. I am not all that familiar with cancer in dogs, but I have heard of some that their dog was diagnosed and they still had much more time with them than expected.

It's important too you have ample time to grieve once Wolf does pass on... how long will that be? There is no magical number set in stone. Some people go through the grieving process for a pet and are able to accept another fur butt into their home in a short period of time, others it takes longer. It depends on the person, the situation, the pet, etc. etc.

Keep in mind too, that if you are planning on getting a pup from a reputable breeder, or a shelter , it may take some time before the perfect puppy comes along. A reputable breeder does not have litters available 24/7, and you could be waiting months and months before a litter is available. Most reputable breeders have waiting lists before the pups are even born. I know when SO and I were looking into American Bulldogs before we adopted Diesel, it was going to be at least 8 months before their next planned litter was born, and then another 2 months after that before we could bring the puppy home. If you are looking into a shelter (which I highly recommend ), while there are certainly many, many dogs without homes available, if you are looking for a particular breed, sex, age, etc. it could be some time before the right dog comes along (But, it's so worth it!). You may be looking and checking in with your local shelters, SPCA, humane society etc. for quite some time before the right one comes up.

I agree that Wolf is likely going through a lot right now and adding a puppy would not be a wise move at this point. I think it would cause alot of stress on him. Adding another member to your pack is always stressful to the other dogs already in the home, and especially with his health being what it is, I think it would cause a fair amount of undue stress on him, and could make his condition even worsen quicker. I can understand being excited to add a pup into your family and home, but I would wait this one out for awhile. At least wait until Wolf has passed away, you have had a chance to grieve, then start looking.

I've always loved having dogs in my life too, but I think there is a right time for everything It was about 6 months after my dog passed away I had as a child growing up before I got "Sassy". But that was just my family, it may be longer for some others, and shorter for others.

Sorry to hear about your health problems as well I don't know any of the details, but this may be another consideration when choosing a pup, depending on your health issues. For ex. if you are unable to do a lot of physical exercise or don't have much energy, you may not want a Husky, Lab, or another high energy breed (Although certainly individuals can vary in a breed and there is no guarantee eitheir way!).

I hope you get many more years with Wolf. He sounds like such a sweetie.

Cheers,

Cassie

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama