Thread: Seizures
View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxaLisa View Post
I haven't dealt with a dog that has had seizures, but a few things in my checklest would be first to find a way, if possible, to get the vet to write a waiver for the rabies vaccine. Maybe run rabies titers to show still has immunity if your vet is not sure.

I would want a thyroid panel done on any seizure dog.

I wouldn't use Revolution. For heartworm, Interceptor at 1/5 the normal dose is called Safeheart and is used for HW only, which is what I've used for many years. Problem though is that most areas can't get Interceptor right now.

I admittedly am paranoid about tick diseases, so in any undiagnosed seizure dog, I would run a trial of doxycycline before starting seizure meds, which would be a grand experiment and not one likely that any vet would agree to.
Hi I am hesitant to use the Revolution, but I also would not want him to get heart worms, or ticks, fleas, etc. I will mention it to the vet. I am all for protection but I wonder if there is a natural product for them. What kills me is the label. Says not to get it on our hands as it is toxic, well obviously if its toxic to us, its the same for the dogs. I think my vet pushes Revolution or Advantage multi, both toxic. I will see what he says. What is doxycycline? Also, if the Revolution was causing seizures would they not stop when I don`t use the product during the winter months? Thank you for your info.