View Single Post
Old March 14th, 2014, 09:26 PM
You can call me DOG!

Question Cryptorchid vs. Monorchids – Are they one in the same?

Is there a difference between being unilaterally Cryptorchid and Monorchid?

Our English Springer spaniel had what we thought was an undescended testicles when he was a pup. He only had 1 “part” exposed and we paid an additional fee to have the undescended testicles removed during his surgery.

Fast forward 10 years. Gryphon has shown signs of lameness in his left hind leg to the point that he is dragging his foot on the ground and it now appears lifeless. I've taken him to my vet twice in the last 2 weeks and only after letting the vet know tonight about his undescended testicle, he (the vet) showed great concern about the surgery 10 years ago. To clarify, Gryphon now sees a new vet who did not perform the original neuter.

My Vet asked me to check the receipt that was issued to find out if the “Crypto” was from the left or right side. I found the receipt (from 2005) and it shows “Monorchid Canine Neuter” as the procedure performed along with a laundry list of medications and anesthetics. So this is where I'm confused because the explanation doesn't state if the right testicle or the left one was undescended but it was “Monorchid.” Does this make sense?

The vet completed a Pre-anesthetic blood test tonight with a CBC and I am to call him on Monday to get Gryph in for a couple x-rays and possible ultra sound as soon as possible. In the meantime, he fixed him up with some Rimadyl to get by for the weekend.

In the interim, another possibility could be a cruciate ligament rupture which can be remedy with either expensive surgery or a canine knee brace.

With any of the above, I truly hope it is just the fact that he has grown older and requires a little help from us with getting around and much more love from his human masters but am really concerned about the Monorchids procedure 10 years ago and if the poor old sole still has one part floating around inside him with a cancerous possibility.

In closing, thank you for reading my long, winded question and any thoughts or input would be GREATLY welcomed and much appreciated.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)

Last edited by Dee-O-Gee; March 14th, 2014 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Monorchids should not be plural! It's only one!