View Single Post
Old April 17th, 2011, 05:17 PM

Sad to hear this happen near home

Well im in Ottawa as most of you know,and have been following the media coverage on this incident. For one im super pissed(not surprised) that they mention this as a pitbull. Im not saying it is not a pitbull but they also must know/realize this is a half breed. Yes it is no excuse for the dog or the owners actions/inactions that it is not a purebred. But come on this dog clearly took over most of the labrador as oppose to the stafordshire. Yet the media has PITBULL PITBULL PITBULL all over the place about this dog,not mentioning once that it had another breed in it. One of the most popular household(family) breeds in NORTH AMERICA!!! Cant mention that though,that would be frowned on worse then the BSL-Ban and Pitbulls,and not to mention bring to attention that maybe any dog/animal can be raised/improperly trained to be vicious or attack. Second,im a little ticked off at the family that lost their dog. My heart goes out to them and their loss dont get me wrong.Please understand as well my feelings are just as bad for this irresponsable owner who made my favourite breed look even worse then it has already been made to look. Anyways the family that had this happen refused another dog that was offered to them by a generous family. Now is this not even more of a kick in the pants ?! I do understand it might be hard after what happened,but for the boy to just not have a dog now I dunno. There was no elaborating on why they refused the dog either. Its just left me with a lot of questions unanswered and makes me think if its being done to keep the boy emotional for the trial of the owner to ensure maximum fines are appointed. All in all I wish this didnt have to happen for both parties and my condolences go out to each. This brings me to my third issue. I was walking my dog in a leash only zone at a park/school yesterday. Out of nowhere comes this little mutt yapping like crazy and b-lining for Lola off leash. To make it even worse the dog started going after Lola's neck and bitting her!! This dog was lock jaw on her neck all fours off the ground. Im starting to freak out and lose my "calm assertiveness" I knew I shouldnt let that happen and I started to try to relax as much as possible so Lola wouldnt feel the fear/panic I was and god forbid defend herself.All this I did in a split second which is very very uncommon for me,I have anger problems,specially when someones in the wrong and im in the right. Anyway I screamed and I mean the wholeeeee neighbourhood heard me no doubt in my mind HEYYYYYY ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!! NOOOOOO!!! the dog let go thank god. The lady had a child with her so I had no choice but to keep my cool and inform her of her wrong doing respectfully. I started off by explaining that if my dog had ever defended herself that id be getting my head cut off by you and anyone else around here.That the park was a leashed area at all times and there is no excuses for her dog to be loose. Explained as well that if it was my dog that I had off the leash im sure id have people as well as you harassing me about it,and calling bylaw,or cops and cry wolf that my dog is vicious and a menace to society. I also explained that if my dog ever bit anyone it would have to be destroyed,and this goes for her dog as well(might not happen as fast tho) and that if I ever and I mean ever hear or see your dog off leash or attack another dog or person I will report the incident that happened and pursue it to the full extent of the law possible.Im giving you this one chance cause I love dogs and wouldnt want to have the dog put down because of the lack of the owners knowledge/training. Just because your dog is small and looks cute is not a reason for it to disobey commands or have you disobey any laws and attack my dog. All in all I guess its just another learning experience for me and how biased peoples views are towards dogs and attacking.Another example is me as a kid,I had a border collie attack me in the face,then tear some teeth holes in my butt. Im sketchy around all border collies ever since,I could not be a pack leader to that breed. I have met some very well tempered ones but im always on guard. Anywayss there's my ten cents