View Single Post
Old July 21st, 2007, 12:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetsh00ter View Post
I read a post on the first page i believe that said dogfighting is a felony in the US. Unfortunately GA is one of only 2 states where it is only a misdemeanor. Even if he is convicted it won't be too serious (i don't know what the punishment is for a misdemeanor).

The good news is that I don't see him playing for the Falcons much longer. Everyone in Atl either loves vick or hates him, now this is comes out. All anyone has been talking about around here has been Vick and wanting him to be convicted/suspended from the NFL.

keep your fingers crossed.
Actually, the only two States where dogfighting is a misdemeanor are Wyoming and Idaho. That is irrelevant anyway as Vick is currently facing FEDERAL charges and according to the FEDERAL government - dogfighting is a felony.

Federal Prosecuters have a nasty little habit of making sure they have a damn good case against someone before they indict and their conviction rate is currently running at about 95%.

I am very glad that this is a Federal case being handled by Federal prosecutors and Federal investigators. This whole thing came to light when local law enforcement went to Vick's property to arrest a cousin on drug charges. Had the local law enforcement community been left alone to deal with this - it would have been swept under the rug. The local D.A. had a search warrant for the same property that the Feds searched but he declined to serve it - claiming lack of man power! Of course - now that the Feds have done all the work - you can expect that the local D.A. will be asking the local Grand Jury to indict Vick when they come into session on the 24th of this month.