View Single Post
Old January 23rd, 2010, 11:44 AM

That's a lot better than here. Last Saturday I visited the SPCA and they had homed 24 animals this year, and euthanized 39. They said most were euthanized because of injury or aggression, but then they went on to say that all dogs showing "too much interest" in cats would be euthanized. I thought that was rather unfair.

There was a large, young Bully breed (Pit Bull/Am Bulldog maybe?) that had a cone on her head and was listed as not being available. She was GORGEOUS! I wanted to take her home. Thinking she had just been spayed and would be available soon I asked about her. They said she was showing "too much interest" in the cats, and would probably be euthanized if she didn't show improvement in the next few days. I asked why she had the cone. They said they took her to the college vets to practise spaying. I was LIVID!!! Why would they put a dog through the pain and stress of surgery who will likely just be euthanized even beforre the sutures heal when there are THOUSANDS of pets in the area that HAVE HOMES or are adoptable that could actually BENEFIT from spaying????

Oh I was SOOO mad. I wrote a letter to the shelter, and their response was rather flacid. Who controls the SPCA shelters? Is there someone I can write who will give a darn?
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie