View Single Post
Old January 16th, 2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
You might consider trying a course of probiotics (capsules from a health food store). They can be mixed with her wet food, just a little pinch. Look for something that has a variety of organisms and is fairly high potency (like Natural Factors Ultimate Multi or MegaFood Mega Flora). How long is a typical course of probiotics? Is it something that she would stay on for life should it work for her? Is it safe to give my other kitten who doesn't seem to have these intestinal issues?

Could also be that the Wellness is too high in fat. Merrick has some decent canned foods that have a better protein to fat ratio (Grammy's Pot Pie and Cowboy Cookout, in particular). Where can I buy the Merrick food? I found the Wellness at PetSmart.

And lastly, eliminating all dry food from Layla's diet could help. Seeing as cats are carnivores with no need for the high amounts of carbohydrates found in kibble, many will see their intestinal issues resolve after they stop eating it. This may be a dumb question, but how much wet food should Layla eat each day if she's only eating wet food? Right now, she gets approx 1/2 can of wet food each day, as well as free feeds w/ dry food.
Thanks for the suggestions!!