View Single Post
Old January 5th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Some more suggestions for food dispensing chew toys that are hits with our dogs: The Canine Genius that can be stuffed like a Kong (although it's a bit harder to wash), the Amaze A-Ball, the Buster Cube (not a chew toy but fun to get food out of nevertheless), the Busy Buddy, the Kong Dental Sticks (I smear peanut butter, cottage cheese, etc in the little crevices), the Kong Stuff-A-Ball, and the Zogoflex.
I generally really like the KONG products, and have a bunch of different ones, but neither the Stuff-a-Ball or the Dental Sticks hold up as well for power chewers as some of their other products. My guys are hard on toys so most of their toys are various different KONGs and some nylabones. Plush toys are usually destroyed quickly, but for some reason I've found they aren't so quick to rip them up if they are just a plain stuffed ball with squeaker in side. If it's anything with bumps, arms, legs or anything else sticking out they chew it up. As far as bones go, I get the large marrow filled smoked bones, ones that I know are from Ontario, not imported from who-knows-where. I find the big center shank bone is the best. The ones with the knobby ends can be ripped apart too easily and then there is the worry about them eating pieces of bone or choking. With the ones I get, the dogs will pretty much clean off all the smoky outer goodness within a day or so, but they'll keep working at getting the marrow out for quite a while longer, chewing at them and licking, trying to get their tongues down inside at the marrow. Right now they're still working on the marrow of their Christmas bones. Once that's all gone they'll still sometimes chew on them so we've got tons of bones both inside and out in the backyard. I find that the bones really help to clean teeth. The first few days the dogs have new bones they really work hard at them and then their teeth are much cleaner.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com