View Single Post
Old March 13th, 2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Just so I understand the timeline, when did your cat FIRST start pooping on the floor? Has it always been in the living room? In the same spot in the living room or in various places? Do you use an enzymatic cleaner to get rid of any lingering odours (that you might not be able to smell, but a cat certainly could)?

How many litter boxes did you have before you got the new cat, and did you add anymore after you got him/her?

How well do the cats get along? Sometimes the signs of animosity can be very subtle, without any overt fighting or hissing and growling. Something as simple as one cat blocking access to certain resources (such as food or litter boxes or the choice sleeping spots) by laying in the doorway is enough to cause stress and inappropriate elimination.

There could be a few things going on here, one of which is possibly constipation (maybe not constipation right NOW, but perhaps constipation in the past that caused her to associate pain while pooping in the litter box). What do your cats eat? Diet has a direct relationship to digestive health.

Are all 3 litter boxes in the bathroom? If so, one suggestion I have is to put an extra one (or 2) elsewhere, maybe even in the living room for the time being. If she starts using it again, you can ever so gradually move it to a better location like a closet.

Might be a good idea to get some Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter for now as well. It contains a blend of herbs that most cats can't resist peeing or pooping on.

Sorry for all the questions! There can be many variables in cases like these so it's important to sort out all the details.
Hi! Hi!
My cat first started pooping on the floor maybe a year ago but she was doing it at the beginning once a week even once in 2-3 weeks..
In my apartment i adopted 2 gray cats 4 years ago. they are brother and sister. they always pooped in their litter box and we never had a problem with it..when once about a year ago our female gray cat started pooping in the living room once in a while but the rest of the time she still pooped in the litter box. Now she poops every day in the living room and she poops in various places..sometimes i put some object on the place she does it more often.. like a small table and she poops on a different place in the same room..sometimes she poops randomly even if i dont put any object on the spot. I clean it with hot water and detergent for dishes sun light. The floors does not have carpet and its just hard wood..
6 months ago we adopted another female cat and after a week they all kind a get along.the new orange cat annoys the gray male cat and the male gray cat fights a lot with his sister (the gray female.) They started fighting probably a year and a half ago and they have this "one time" a night fight which i always have to wake up and try to separate them. most of the time the female comes to me in bed right away when the male fights with her so that i protect her from him..the female gray cat is overweight and her brother is very athletic. all 3 cats are spayed/neutered. ( i had one of my mother in laws cat for 2 weeks (they/we have 6 more in the other house but now my mother in law lives in the house and she takes care of the other cats because they like to go in the yard) my 3 cats in the apartment never go out...
so now my mother in laws cat is back to her house and i have 3 in my apartment with 2 litter boxes. i have added the second one when we got the new baby cat but that litter box is small and the old one is very big..
The female gray cat sleeps a lot during the day and the night and she is not very active. sometimes she may play but probably once a week...
i hope you understood what i wrote and i am very thankful that you wish to help me with an advice. if you have any other question or you didnt understand something please ask me.
thank you so much

one litter box is in the bathroom and one big one is in the laundry room. the door in the laundry room has a special big hole so they go through it. they have been using the litter box in the laundry room ever since i got them 4 years ago..

i will see for the litter you proposed and try adding another litter box in the living room.