View Single Post
Old October 27th, 2013, 02:29 PM

Puppy unwell? No Symptoms - at a loss

I am at a loss and would do anything for even some ideas as to what might be wrong with our puppy.
She is almost 5 months old. Chihuahua. She is just the sweetest little thing and so smart. She is as far as I can tell - potty trained as of two weeks ago. She has been so happy and playful - just perfect ... until a week ago. Last Sunday she got a bit of a punch from her big sister in the belly or side - she cried and took off, but didnt seem hurt at all. Then we had visitors that excited her greatly and she pees a bit when she is super excited. unfortunatley, she peed a great deal all day and he already has been dealing with a tiny bit of puppy vaginitis. All that peeing irritated her. By that evening she seemed very restless and was acting as though she had a lot of discomfort - she was also peeing so much that I felt a trip to the vet was needed. The Emergency vet did a urine analisys and found absolutely nothing. She did say that her belly seemed a little puffed and perhaps a bit sore, and that her vulva was very red and irritated inside, but felt that an antibiotic was not needed.
The next day she seemed not to be playing - and seemed not herself at all. We brought her into her regular vet. They checked her urine and found a slightly elevated white blood cell count. she was given an injection of Convenia. Within two days she seemed much better than she had ... but still not the puppy I knew. A little restless and strange.

It's been a week. She is eating great, drinking OK, playing ... BUT ... she now cries when she goes to get up from laying down. She doesn't limp or have any trouble walking or running - just when getting up. She is also quite constipated, but I assume that is from the antibiotic. The thing is ... aside from the crying when she gets up, she has no symptoms AT ALL!! Her urine is a nice color and smells just like very mild pup urine - her poops are fine - no blood at all (black or red) - just hard and constipated. She eats and loves every second of it. She plays like a maniac once she gets going - but it almost seems like she needs to be begged to get going. Her gums are perfectly pink. Her eyes are bright and fine. Her temp is normal. So what is wrong with her???? Am I freaking out for no reason? Could she have suffered some kind of injury when her sister punched her and no vet has found it even after examining her? Could there be an obstruction in her intestines that is big enough to cause pain, but small enough to not keep her from having somewhat normal bowel movements?
She is going back to the vet in a week for a check on her pee and I intend on asking him to check her out REEEEALLLLY good - but until then, should I be worried? She just seems ... uncomfortable and whiney. Could it be growing pains?

BTW - today I started giving her just a tiny bit of pumpkin to her food to make her poops a bit easier for her to pass - and I'm making sure she is drinking enough water. I'm also really initiating play to make sure she is active - I heard that inactivity might cause constipation. And because of the colder weather - she is not so up for playing outside for too long.

So ... any ideas? Anyone else have a Chi that whines a lot - or at least when they get up from laying down? Could the Convenia be making her feel a little unwell? I know it will be with her for another one to three weeks.

SIGH - I love my little girl so much. I just want her to be happy.