View Single Post
Old March 21st, 2018, 07:52 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hi, Dogs44. Welcome!

Have you looked for a behaviorist to help you out? Having that objective set of eyes evaluating your dog's behavior might give you some insight in how to control the herding. There are a lot of shady people out there posing as behaviorists, though, so you have to do some research, find one whose methods match your philosophies on dog training, and check references carefully, but a good behaviorist can be invaluable.

We have a reactive dog and found something that works to calm him down. I wonder if something similar would work for your dog in the meanwhile.

I taught our Brier a command that means sit in front of me and look at me. Once his attention is on me, he's much calmer. He used to go ballistic when a horse and buggy would go by, but I can now have him out on the sidewalk and have a buggy pass within 15 feet without him reacting. Do you think a command like that would be useful? That might help you out in a pinch--during a chance meeting while walking your dog, for instance. Herding instinct is different than straight reactivity, but getting her to focus on you would be a great start.

The other suggestion I have is to give her a job to try to channel her energy. Agility might be a good outlet--something to tire her out while exposing her to the presence of other dogs in a controlled setting.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."