View Single Post
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Live well, laugh often

Gabapentin Pain Med - Question Dr. Lee

Lucy (13 year old yellow lab) was recently (about a month) on gabapentin as an additional pain management drug with previcox. Lucy has increased pain and stiffness from arthritis. My vet had very good success with one of her own dogs (bone cancer) with this drug. We considered using tramadol but there are some considerations that perhaps tramadol is not compatible with SamE (Denosyl) which Lucy also takes.

My question is that Lucy seems to have suddenly had severe hearing loss. I know that her hearing was not as strong as it once was but I have noticed in the past week or so that she seems almost totally deaf. It suddenly occured to me today that perhaps this was a side effect of the medication? I tried to call my vet but she is out of town until wednesday next week .

She is 65lbs and currently takes 300mg of gabapentin twice a day as well as a 1/2 tablet of previcox. We also give glucosamine, salmon oil etc and she has Gunn IMS procedures (intramuscular stimulation using acupuncture needles - a technique used to release chronic muscle tone and to restore fluid movement patterns) done regularly (which help her a lot). I believe she has been more comfortable with her pain on gabapentin but if this is a possible side effect then I would definately prefer to try a different medication.

Thoughts?