View Single Post
Old March 17th, 2004, 11:19 AM

Cat Smells

I have a 10 year old Himalayan cat. He is generally healthy, but he seems to have an odor problem. The odor is coming from his facial area, smells like rotten fish, and is very offensive. You can smell him without him opening his mouth, and if you get within a foot of his face. I had his teeth cleaned about 1 year ago and the smell subsided mostly for about 2-3 days, but came back after that. The vet said he didn't have any abcessed teeth nor any gum problems. His teeth were really yellow before I got them cleaned, but they aren't too yellow now. I thought it might be his food causing it so I changed what I was feeding him. That didn't seem to help. I have limited options with what I can feed him since he has FUS and has to have the urinary tract food. I now feed him Eukanuba. Any ideas as to what might be wrong with him? He has Herpes, which causes him to sneeze and expel mucus a lot, as well as have watery eyes. I don't know if that has something to do with it, or if it's just his teeth. Should I have to get them cleaned every year? I hate having to put him to sleep to do that. Thanks for your help!