View Single Post
Old March 19th, 2013, 02:56 AM

Unhappy PLEASE tell me there's other options?!? (My dog's paralyzed from spinal cord injury)

I just found out that my little Jaspybaby is permanently paralyzed in his hindlegs due to a spinal cord injury. He's a 2.5 yr old Peekapoo --- and he means the absolute world to me. My parents were pet sitting him for a few days -- he jumped off their bed (nothing out of the ordinary), let out a loud yelp, and couldn't get up. That was it. All it took. Paralyzed. I still can't believe it.

A few months ago, Jaspy had a similar episode where he slipped a disc in his spinal cord and fully recovered in about a week or so. He was just doing his usual "yay! mommy's home from work" routine and it happened while he was jumping. He lost feeling in his legs and couldn't walk or really move but he DID have pain sensation when the vet pinched his back legs. I was hoping and praying that it was the same thing this time.

We took him to the vet my mom takes her dogs to and they pretty much said that he has a zero percent chance of recovery, it's too late for the surgery and that I should just euthanize him. I was SPEECHLESS when the vet told me this. Not only was she so obnoxiously blunt and inconsiderate but she's basically telling me to just give up on the thing I love most.

I'm taking Jasper to the animal hospital in our area tomorrow morning but I just don't know what to expect. And to make matters worse, my financial situation really sucks right now - so it's not like I can afford just anything. But just the thought of putting him down breaks my heart in a million pieces. My parents think I'm being selfish by putting him through all this and that it's not fair for him to live the rest of his life without being able to walk. I'm so torn. I don't know what to do.

Is what the Vet said really the only option? I mean - there HAS to be others. ....right?
Does anyone have any insight or advice for me?
AM I being selfish?
Has anyone else gone through something like this or heard of any dogs fully recovering from hindlimb paralysis??