View Single Post
Old April 14th, 2012, 12:47 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Just so I understand, you're saying he's pooped outside the box since he was a kitten? Do you know for sure if it's always him, or could it be one of the other cats?

Quote:
Are these scented litters? Have you tried anything else?

Quote:
Just the one box? For 6 cats? How often do you clean it? Have you tried putting boxes in any other locations?

Quote:
How big is your cat? Are you sure he isn't just hanging his butt over the edge?

Quote:
Is everybody neutered? What does he do when he "dominates" them?

Quote:
Having tapeworms is not "okay". Repeating what 14+ asked, is he being treated for them?

Quote:
What is wrong with the other cats' stool?

Quote:
Have you ever actually caught him in the act? If so, what did you do?

Now, about that food. Without going into exhaustive detail, dry food is really not a good choice for cats, and those 2 dry foods in particular are pretty bad. Way to high in carbohydrates, which can cause long-term damage to feline organs, and way too low in moisture, which results in other serious health issues like bladder and urinary tract problems and kidney disease. For more detail, please read this link: www.catinfo.org

Now I totally realize that feeding 6 cats wet food can get pretty expensive, but there are ways to cut costs. Not only that, but you'll save money in vet bills in the long run. It's worth thinking about.

The Response:
My apologies for the long delay but, I've had alot of meical issues with my oldest cat Tahoe see below.

No, it's Dexter... we've caught him in the act plenty of times. No, we don't use scented litter just regular http://www.amazon.com/Arm-Hammer-Mul...4380123&sr=8-1

We tried that non clumping clay litter us the humans hated it due to the odors... We have tried placing two other litter boxes one under the table and one in a different corner and that didn't work out either. We clean the litterbox as often as they use it. He's not that big actually, he when he does use the litterbox for poop he tends to squat on two legs and hang using his two front legs as if standing weird... Weirdly, he scratches the walls and plastic corners to get litter even though obviously walls and corners don't have litter. We though he was a little weird but, I've seen some youtube videos and they do it too so I guess this is semi-normal behavior for a cat.

YES, they are all neutered and spayed! Mostly, I've seen humping behavior between him and his brother William, and small spats between him and the other males (three others beside William). He does tend to get really angry/pissed off when he sees a local black stray cat like psycho spitting, bring out a mop, his mother slaps him to snap him out of it behavior. However, when this does happens we try to talk to him and then give him affection: scratching under the chin, petting, however, this black intruder is a recent development and there's no corralation between the black cat and his defecating.

The Tape worms are addressed as soon as we see them with the tapeworm pills as seen here! http://www.1800petmeds.com/Tape+Worm...prod10415.html

Nothing is wrong with their stools actually, I was just using them as a reference actually! You know if you get five people and you compare a sixth they should all look like if they are all on the same diet.

When we catch him in the act, we sigh and proceed to clean it, what else can we do? He's a cat, but we definately don't rub his nose in it or yell alot. We just say DEXTER! But we don't harm him, hit him, or do anything about just get paper, soap, water.

Actually, in the beginning I read somewhere that wet food promoted worms heaven knows where the hell I picked that up however, my oldest Tahoe has feline sterile cystitis, we've been prescribed Purina UR Urinary Tract Cat Food 16 lb as seen here: http://www.amazon.com/Purina-Urinary.../dp/B0050JLCUS

However, seeing as to how the I've been reading petinfo.org and other such material I'm adding 1/2 cup of water to both his meals I try to ensure that he eats the kibble and water. I've also gotten themn the 360 drinkwell fountain as seen here http://www.amazon.com/Drinkwell-D360...4381042&sr=1-1

in an attempt to ensure all my felines are drinking enough water I as have a second water bowl with just standing water that is replaced with fresh water whenever it gets on piece of fur or speck of dirt/litter spot.
I do actually plan to move them all to wet food most notably to nine lives urinary tract wet can food only because I have two cats one whose infection cleared completely the second one (idk what to make of it; he's not in pain but he pees ALOT it sounds like a hose has been opened, but his behavior is strange because he'll start talking alot but it's not painful almost like saying I want to use the bathroom but I'm afraid it'll hurt, and I have to place him twice in the box before he uses it then he'll use it, so I am now trying to associate the litterbox with treats and petting as a good thing... We think he has just gotten used to going everywhere he please, we didn't attempt to correct or admonish him during his active cystitis because he was in pain we could tell because he would hide and start making I'm hurting meowing noises.) and I plan to stay away from the fish and chicken flavors. Only because I have read that chicken and fish have been shown to aggravate the cystitis condition.

Also, we have noticed that Dexter's defecating outside the box has subsided alot. But, we do notice that it occurs mostly when the feedings don't occur on schedule eg 6/7am and 5 pm. We notice that Dexter's attention seeking behavior is done in order to convince us it's time to feed starts around 415-445 pm that's we the extra vocalization happens. So if the feeding is gone past five thirty then that's when it'll happen. Although sometimes, it happens even if the food was given at the right time but, when that happens it's cause the litterbox was dirty.
We really believe that he does it to get revenge and get our attention sort of well, you obviously didn't HEAR me the first fifty times but, this will bring you out! But, he's a cat for crying out loud, revenge I hope isn't a concept that he's learned...

I'm sorry that I also included my other cat's health issue it just dragged me down so much I was remotely contemplating putting him down because of how painful he was crying... But, he's okay now so far I want to keep fighting for him.

Last edited by hazelrunpack; April 14th, 2012 at 01:54 PM.