View Single Post
Old October 26th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Now he compares dogs to guns?

Funny i thought that still was a responsibility of all registered gun owners. This guy has just stopped making sense. I can't believe people can sit idly by....

Pit bull ban bill introduced

KEITH LESLIE
CANADIAN PRESS

The Ontario government wants its legislation to ban pit bulls province-wide passed into law by the end of this year, Attorney General Michael Bryant announced today.

Bryant said the legislation, which was to be introduced today, will include a grandfather clause to protect pit bulls already in the province, but will require those dogs to be muzzled and leashed whenever they're in public.

"The most humane way, over time, for them to be banned, is the ban we're proposing whereby existing pit bulls" can stay, said Bryant. "But they're just too dangerous without the muzzles and leashes."

Bryant said he pushed for a total ban on a breed he called "inherently dangerous" because he wasn't convinced a muzzle law alone would protect people and pets from pit bull attacks.

"You can't leave it to the dog owner to every single time put the muzzle on," he said.

"Just like you can't leave it to the gun owner to always put the safety clip on a weapon before it goes out in public."

Bryant said there was "no way" he would back down from his plan to completely ban pit bulls, despite growing opposition from some dog owners.

"I know that those who oppose the ban feel very strongly about it, but I disagree with them," he said.

Bryant said there are far too many stories about pit bull attacks on people or other animals, and insisted a total ban is the best way to protect the public and other pets.

"Barely a day or a week goes by where there isn't another story about another horrific pit bull incident," he said.

"I think what is in the best interests of Ontarians' safety, and pet safety for that matter, is that pit bulls, over time, be banned."

Bryant also insisted he wasn't worried about a court challenge to the new legislation, saying an earlier attempt to challenge a pit bull ban in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ont., was unsuccessful.