View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2014, 07:45 PM

Dog sleeping a lot

I'm not sure if this is related to age but curious to know the length of time older dogs should be sleeping? I realize that activity level, age and health all play a role in the length of time anyone needs to sleep but my 11 year old dog Billy is sleeping a lot. As some of you may remember he had surgery in February to remove a mast cell Tumor so this new sleeping pattern could be due to that.

He is in bed for the night by 10pm and wakes by 7am. After breakfast he goes back to bed until about 10am. If it's nice weather we go for a walk for 30-60 minutes then back home he goes back to bed. From 11am-5pm he only gets up to greet visitors or to toilet then back to bed. Eats his supper at 5pm then back to bed from 5pm-10pm only gets up to greet people or toilet. Then off to bed again for the night at 10pm. He used to follow me around all the time inside the house or out to the garden and now prefers his bed.

He just had his annual checkup 3 weeks ago and vet said he's just old. Blood panel, fecal and wellness exam all came back normal. Is this his new normal? I'm kinda sad for him if it is