View Single Post
Old January 3rd, 2009, 02:07 PM
Lori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khari View Post
Please do not do anything as drastic as putting your cat to sleep b/c of the mega colon. Please check out this group for support http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline_Megacolon/

3 weeks ago my vet put my cat under a mild anasthesia, applied an anema and cleaned out a huge blockage. Although my cat has constipation issues (not a megacolon that I am aware of) and she has stools every 3-4days. The vet says this is okay as long as she is not straining, in pain, throwing up, and the stools are not super hard. He is happy as long as the stools are abundant when she does have a stool. But he has told me that if she goes to 5 days without a stool than I have to bring her in. I have lost many hours of sleep worrying about her but I am coming to terms with the fact that she is normal in every other aspect except her pooping habits. I also am starting to believe that maybe some cats are just more speradic in their bowel movements.

Is your cat straining or in pain after 2 days with no bowel movement? If not, than maybe it is time to find another vet. Get a 2nd or 3rd opinion. I would not be able to afford taking my cat in to the vet every couple of days either. This has never been an option with my vet. He has told me to call him when I get concerned and he will make the decision if I should bring her in or not. He also told me that the stool softner "Lactulose" can be bought over the counter at a pharmacy. I save 5-6 times the amount I would spend paying for this at a vets office.
He sometimes will go every 4 days, if he goes longer than that he will vomit from straining..........I would say after 2 days he does strain a bit, sometimes I see him going in & out of the litter box numerous times but there will be nothing there....I have never heard him cry in pain, but you can see the look on his face(he looks mad) I have not had good luck with the Lactulose, he spits it out ,gags & has vomited from it....most of it has ended up being a sticky mess all over his fur......Not sure I can afford bringing him to another vet, but I have been feeling like I need another opinion, I for sure can not afford to bring him for enemas every 2-3 days...the cost is unreal.You mentioned the type of stool he does have(when he goes) they are very big,usually round & very hard.
Believe me I love this cat more than anything, I've had cats my whole life but I have a special bond with this one & vice versa.....the last thing I want to do is put him to sleep, I just wonder if I'm being selfish putting him through all this because I'm not ready to let him go.
Again about the Lactulose, you said I can get this over the counter? & if so what dosage do you give your cat? Thank you so much to evryone that has answered me.....I appreciate it more than you know.