View Single Post
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:44 AM
Senior Contributor

My pom didn't like to be brushed when I got him either.

What I did was this...

Got together everything I needed to groom him - comb, brush, nail clippers and a container of cat treats. I use those little soft cat treats that come in a small plastic jar. Set all of this on the end table next to my recliner.

Put the dog on his leash, got comfy in my recliner, found my favorite t.v. show and had the pup lay down in my lap. Took the leash and wrapped it around my leg so that I could keep him where I wanted him and still have both hands free to brush and comb him out.

Then, I proceeded to brush him and watch my show. When he stopped squirming around like some kind of demented alien - I popped a treat into his mouth and told him how fabulous he was. As he layed still longer and longer, I gave him an occassional treat.

Trimming nails was a bit tougher. The first few times, I really had to wear him out, then, when he fell asleep on his back on my lap - I trimmed a foot while he was asleep! When he woke up (and you know he did!!) I gave him a treat. I only did one foot at a time for a bit.

He is much better now. We don't need the leash and I don't have to chase him around. He will even let me trim all 4 feet at once.

The important things to remember are not to get rough, be patient, and don't feel you have to do the whole dog at one time. You don't have to talk to him a lot either - just the occassional "Good boy" should be plenty. If you treat it like it is no big deal and nothing special, he will too.

As for baths - they are rare in my house. I brush Rusty pretty regularly and he is not a smelly guy.