View Single Post
Old September 10th, 2010, 02:40 PM
-

Feeding Raw and Kibble Together

I originally posted this in Sylvie's thread introducing Bree as her latest adoption.

I was hoping to get some opinions from all the knowledgable raw feeders on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
I don't feed raw but I know there is a lot of controversy on the internet about not feeding with kibble because of the different digestion rates.

According to Lew Olsen who has a PHD in Nutrition and owns the b-naturals.com website and also the K-9 Nutrition website it is fine to feed both kibble and raw together as long as the raw does not contain any bone.

I have some information about it saved from one of her newsletters and will go find it and then post it here.
Quote:
Okay, here is the information from http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/changing-diets/ .....

Quote:
Raw Diets

Raw foods can be added to either commercial food or home cooked foods during the transition to a raw diet. The only exception would be the raw meaty bones, which should be fed separate from dry dog food. While many dogs do fine with this, some dogs don’t do quite as well as the bones compete with the digestion of the dry food. Gastric juices are excreted on the lining of the stomach and both foods, being heavy, gravitate to this area. This can cause some undigested food to be present in the stool. So, you can mix muscle meat and organ meat with kibble, but feed raw meaty bones as a separate meal from kibble for the first few weeks. Instructions for feeding a raw diet can be found here: http://www.b-naturals.com/May2006.php

And, here is a question and the answer (in blue) from the archives of k-9 nutrition http://onibasu.com/archives/kn/121809.html ....

Quote:
Hi,

Lew, I've noticed a couple of times that you've mentioned that you
can add raw to kibble but not RMBs? Can you explain why to me? My RM
currently is feeding mostly kibble, some canned food and chicken
backs to his 5 mo. old Gr. Pyr. Is this bad for him? And if so, can
you explain it to me in a way that I can easily explain to my
roommate?

Sometimes the kibble can block the digestion of bones. Basically the stomach churns and the 'heavier' bits go to the stomach wll to be digested. Sometimes the kibble gets in the way.

I have heard that if you feed raw and kibble you should feed one meal
of raw and one meal of kibble. Is there any truth to this? I'm not
sure if he's currently doing this or not.

Nah, you can raw food to kibble, just don't add bones. Feed those separate.

Lew

And, another one that was answered by Mary Straus who used to be a moderator there but now owns the dogaware.com website and writes articles for the Whole Dog Journal http://onibasu.com/archives/kn/150921.html ....

Quote:
I've just started adding raw to my dog's kibble based on Lew's newsletter. She's 85 lbs but needs to lose a few - probably 6-8 lbs. I'm starting with 1-1/2 times the amounts listed for a 50 lb dog (listed in the newsletter). The amounts listed for a 50 lb dog are 1/4 c kibble and 1/4 c meat, 1 egg and 2 T of yogurt plus supplements. So based on my calculations, my dog should be fed 1/2 c of kibble and 3 oz of meat plus an egg and 3 T of yogurt, along with some supplements. That just doesn't look like much food at all.

Because different kibbles vary quite a bit in terms of their calorie content, what I usually recommend when combining kibble and raw food is to calculate how much of each you would feed if that were all you were feeding, then use a percentage of that amount based on how you divide the diet up.

In other words, if the kibble you're using recommends feeding 3 cups a day to a 78 lb dog, and you are feeding half kibble and half raw, then feed 1 1/2 cups of kibble, plus the raw.

Rule of thumb for feeding a raw diet is 2-3% of the dog's ideal body weight daily, which would be around 25-37 ounces a day. Again, if you're feeding half raw and half kibble, then you would feed half that amount, or 12-18 ounces a day. Since you want your dog to lose weight, I'd start on the low side and give 12 ounces a day.

So you're right, it looks like you're feeding a lot less than your dog needs (the newsletter amounts appear better suited to a 25 lb dog than a 50 lb dog). Increase the amounts to what I've listed above, and then keep a close eye on your dog's weight, adjusting up or down as needed. What you want is a slow, steady weight loss, no drastic changes. If you need to reduce the amount you're feeding, drop it about 10% at a time, then check his weight again in a couple of weeks and continue to adjust until you see a slow, steady weight loss, then stay at that amount.

Mary Straus
Pleasanton, CA
http://www.dogaware.com

Last edited by rainbow; September 16th, 2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: forgot to use blue for the quoted answers