View Single Post
Old April 19th, 2010, 04:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Same as I look at our Brown snake and marvel how can a snake with such a small head be the snake here that causes the most human deaths, I also wonder how a snake as cobra-like as that hognose can be harmless? The bend in this Brown's neck is the signal that it's going to strike.
I am loving this thread, your snakes are really beautiful. Unfortunately, although our Brown is protected, we are allowed to kill them if they pose a threat to us or stock, and they do because they are known to hang around buildings, and they generally are in pairs. We've lost a foal and a lovely jersey heifer due to Brown snakes. And, right where I live, because they live a peaceful life in the forest opposite us, they can be HUGE! I was walking dogs a mile from here and up the side of the road, towards us, came a 7 footer if he was an inch, and very thick of course. The two cattle dogs froze and didn't move a muscle as it went by, thank heaven. We've also had them that big down at our hay shed. Seeing a baby Brown can kill I'd hate to know how many people a big one could kill.
Anyway, love all your photo's. We have a red bellied black snake here that is a beauty, not as poisonous as some, and more placid. I like yours that are safe and play dead though, wish we could import some.
Attached Images