View Single Post
Old December 31st, 2004, 11:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Give her time to settle in before overwhelming her with affection. And yes she may be in heat which could add to her discomfort.

Shy and strange cats back off from anyone trying to touch or pick them up. My suggestion, and this is what I do with my totally wild feral cats, is to let HER come to YOU.

You know how people say that in a roomful of people, a cat will always go to the person who doesn't like cats? That's becuase that is the person who is not looking at them, calling them or reaching out to them.

So ignore her for now as you go about your tasks. IF she's around, talk softly to her, but do not look her in the eye or approach her. She'll decide when to make the overatures. She may have been handled roughly (or not at all) or locked in the basement in her last home.

You must be patient and kind. And please don't expect gratitude because you feed her and scoop her box etc. It sounds like she's had a rough time in her last home and has no reason to trust anyone right now. She WILL come around, I promise.