View Single Post
Old March 28th, 2004, 07:48 AM

Enlarged Lymph Node Biopsy

A biopsy is an option however there is, medically, a risk which I am not interested in taking or exposing my dog to.
There is a risk of opening an encapsulated area by biopsy. If it is cancer there is little that can be done especially if it is already spreading and there is no higher area of risk for cancer to spread than the lymph node system.
Several lymph nodes are alreay swollen. By taking a biopsy a needle is inserted in the node and a sample of the tissue/fluid inside is extracted. The tiny needle prick can leak the otherwise contained material into the system. While it appears there is something already in the system - to invade it again just to prove a diagnosis seems additional risk for the dog. There have been cases where an otherwise encapsulted (contained) tissue mass has been turned loose on the rest of the system via biopsy.
In humans you can communicate the risk and allow them to be part of the diagnosis and treatment option program. In our animal friends we do not yet have that option.
We suspect it is cancer and according to the surgeon only three out of hundreds of multiple swollen lymph node cases have turned out to be non cancerous after antibotic treatment-which my dog has already had.
If and when it comes time to put her to sleep I will, as I have done so many times before over the years hold her and talk to her while the euthinasia fluid is administered. I have always wanted them to hear the voice of a friend and feel the touch of love and care as they cross over. A good, final moment. I would hope I have the same when I cross over to meet them.