View Single Post
Old January 20th, 2009, 04:36 PM

Sounds like Crosby has an ultra sensitive tummy. My Dane ~ Diesel~ does too but switching her food solved the problem after a couple of weeks. If you are positive that there are no internal parasites I would go back to thinking about the food.

Lamb and rice has served Diesel well. The problem with a lamb and rice diet is that once introduced as the main diet, it is difficult to switch back to anything else. Lamb is very bland and easy on the stomach, so when you introduce other meats (proteins) they are now too rich. Diesel is able to have a treat from things other than lamb, but for a main diet I stick to the lamb and rice.

If you stick to other meats, know the difference between 'meal' and 'by- products'. In chicken, for example, 'meal' consists of ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs and intestines. Poultry 'by-products' will include heads, feet, viscera, free from fecal content and foreign matter. (Hungry yet?)

I have also changed other aspects that seem to have done well, but I'm not sure if it's just because I am paranoid of bloat but they do make sense.

~try using a raised dog bowl. If Crosby doesn't have to raise his head to get the food to the back of his throat he will take in less air
~playing so soon after eating probably isn't good. Food sits like a stone in the belly (humans don't jog immediately after eating). Crosby is gulping air. Exercise a half hour before or a half hour after a meal upsets the stomach and you might consider extending that to one hour before and after eating.
~if you are able to do so, try feeding three times a day instead of two. Smaller meals are more easily digested.

Good luck!

Last edited by 24paws; January 20th, 2009 at 05:05 PM. Reason: more information available