View Single Post
Old October 30th, 2008, 09:18 AM

Thanks everyone! What bothers me about the pet food industry, and especially the vet side of the pet food industry is that it really seems like a viscious circle. All they seem to be doing is fixing the problems they create. Its really an excellent money making sceme if you ask me. We had a representative from Royal Canin come in the other day, she did an extensive talk on their diets and all the research they do on finding diets for specific health problems. At the end of the lecture I asked her if they did any research on diets that prevent illnesses such as urinary stones or kidney disease. She didnt really understand me, and started talking about the diets and case studies that they have for pets that already have conditions. Then I got to thinking, why would you want to prevent a cat from having urine stones, its one of the most common illnesses in cats and makes vets and the pet food companies millions.So much for their mission statement that everything is for the health and well being of the animals! As well, why are there so many heath problems with pets in general? Why do pets have kidney problems, liver problems, allergies, gastrointestinal problems, surely diet has something to do with it! Anyways this class and listening to reps in person is giving me a good background of knowledge... Hopefully some day I can work in a holistic clinic that believes that a natural food diet is better for animals than highly processed corn and soy products!
Come Visit Us! http://myminizoo.wordpress.com