View Single Post
Old January 3rd, 2009, 04:01 PM
Lori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khari View Post
I think the group on yahoo will be good for you....I am not experienced with megacolon but from what I know it is not deadly. It is something that can be controlled and tolerated by trying different remedies that will work for your cat. I am glad you have checked it out. Go in the archives and see what sort of advice you can find for your situation. Ask the group questions. They are willing to help....remember they have been where you are and can help you out

The vet gave me a 1cc syringe to give to her twice daily. Your cat may need more. Maybe call your vet first to see what he recommends...I am lucky because my cat likes the taste of lactulose so she will lick it right out of the syringe while I hold it. And she will also lick it off my hand. You may have to hold your cat and open his mouth and put the syringe slightly into his mouth. Thankfully it is not that much of a dose. I don't know if the lactulose has made her go more regular but I do know her poops are more spongey now and not as rock hard.

I know it is sad how many people have cats with megacolon and constipation issues...I am a firm believer that it is because of the commercial pet food that we are feeding our pets. But that is a whole other forum
I went to Rite Aid to see about the Lactulose & they said I needed a prescription.....so I went to the vet & she wrote me one, it is 11.00 at Rite Aid which is much less than the vet. Now she needs to get me 10mg Cisipride as he needs 30mg's a day & right now I'm giving him 2 5mg's 3x day....it's really tough. Hopefully I'll have the 10's by Monday.Anyway thanks for your help & I'll keep you posted.