View Single Post
Old January 26th, 2004, 08:30 PM

smelly cat

I have a 3 year old cat named Effie. She was feral for her first 6 months and then brought to the vet for vaccinations and spaying and then given to me. I have several other cats and they all get along fine with Effie. Effie is still skittish and won't go up to a person who is standing up, but likes to come up on the bed at night to be petted. The problem is that she gets very affectionate when she is petted and then "sprays" or "drips" a terrible whitish/clear liquid out of her behind (not urine). I don't know if its anal gland fluid or what. Its disgusting and I immediately have to wash what ever it gets on. It makes me not want to pet her least she become "happy" and start dripping. What can I do to get her to stop dripping? I'm certain she's spayed, does she simply need her anal gland cleaned out or is that just for dogs? I hate to have to put her to sleep, but this odor is ruining my home and I don't think its fair to give her to someone else where they'll end up with the same problems I am. Any idea what's causing the cat to do this and what I can do to stop it?