View Single Post
Old September 18th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Location: small, decrepit-but improving!-farm in Southern Ontario
Smile Feralmania, Chapter ??

Soooo, a fairly uneventful few days avec les furals. Pepper and Cash remain in the back porch playing up a storm...although they were a tad quiet for an unusual length of time Sunday afternoon, and when I went in to check on them Pepper didn't come to greet me (for the first time since deciding I am not in fact a dastardly alien). I couldn't see either of the little fursters, so peeked under the freezer, a favourite snooze spot. They were both there, but seemed awfully sedate; I [quietly] panicked, and carefully moved the freezer (I'm not SuperVoman, it's just a very small freezer ) so that I could get a better look. Bottom line: they were just fine, and somewhat perturbed by my disruptive concern! Yes, I know cats nap a lot, but their unprecedented 'scarceness' kickedstarted ye olde adrenaline..."I'm not nervous-just incredibly alert!!"

Upstairs in Club Quadruped, Sparky was also a bit more subdued today; perhaps it was the warmer weather?? Sparkadelic has lots of toys and human visits with which to keep himself amused, but he is definitely expressing more interest in the World Beyond the Door. As I assured him today, only 3 more days of quarantine until he can begin the integration process. It's always interesting to see how that goes; 2 of our cats took at least a month to fully emerge from protective custody, while one notable-Goose the Unflappable-demanded to come out in just 2 days (she'd already had all her shots etc.).

I feel a bit like an air traffic controller, with planes stacked up waiting for touchdown i.e. Sparky from the quarantine room to the household, the Two Pumas from the back porch to the q. room. I never realized how handy the back porch and door were until they were closed to in/out traffic. All kinds of clutter has now built up in the side sunporch (with an outside door) which is usually the only really organized room in the house; we are even parking the car in a different spot to accommodate the present situation. ...And do the little purrmeisters even THINK about bringing a bowl of ice cream to yours truly?! (I know, I know, the mere sight of their safe little faces is reward enough!!).

Hopefully Cash will warm up to me a bit more in the next week, otherwise the transition from porch to room will be a smidgeon more challenging. My most recent 'befriending strategy' has been to talk to her as much as ever, but to actually avoid getting too close (before, I would reach out to let her sniff, but perhaps playing just a bit 'hard to get' will work better...how is it that she will at times deign to eat a treat right off my hand, yet otherwise not tolerate ANY contact; I've only ever had one or 2 other cats that would eat right from my hand...go figure).

Momcat a/k/a 'Wee Wilhelmina' reappeared a few days ago; I had a livetrap all lined up to borrow on Thursday, but it didn't pan out. However, I have a couple more leads to follow up on Monday, and I'm sure one of them will work out. I've already contacted a vet clinic that is prepared to spay a feral cat on short notice-if she's not already too preggers, so for trapping and spaying. I'll do my best.

This whole feral scenario is nudging me towards spay/neuter activism, I think. I've always felt very strongly about the issue, but perhaps the Von Cat Family came along to motivate me to take things FURther. When I get a bit more time I plan to post on the subject in the 'rant etc.' forum, as I'd like to get some ideas on what is happening re: spay/neuter (particularily with regard to cats) in different areas. I know there are children starving around the world (we do sponsor 2 girls in Africa), and my horse passion will always inform my life to a huge extent (to the detriment of our savings account HAHA that is a laff and a half...horses?? savings??!!...oh puhleese)...

BUT, as the saying goes, "think globally-act locally", in different contexts. There is absolutely no kind of lower-cost spay/neuter option in my area; the Ontario Humane Society and SPCA organizations don't have a tangible presence (in this area), and although their admirable mandates include spay/neuter education and advocacy they have a number of issues to deal with i.e. cruelty/abuse investigation, care and adoption ETC. (Again, the county I live in doesn't even have a shelter.)

Perhaps Wee Wilhelmina et al. will end up being the inspiration for SPAYWOMAN...hmmmmm , think that may need a little work!!!! Bad action figure name aside, think of the comics/toy vet clinics etc. that such a venture could involve!