View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2011, 01:17 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong. If you didn't have a credit card, you'd just be left on the street to die ?
LP, if it's life/death, they have to treat you enough to make you stable, but that's all. You would then be transferred to a community hospital. If you have a job and means to pay by, they will bill you. If you are low-income, most hopsitals have a charity dept. (forget exactly what ot's called now, it's been yrs!). The problem is this... if you make even a hair over what they consider low income, you are on your own. Sure, they stabilize you, but then they attach your wages, freeze your bank accounts etc. As I said beofre, my sister and her hubby actually had to file bankruptcy twice due to medical bills. They live in a small town, my sister has a bachelors in criminal justice/psych and was working for $8.50 an hour as a teacher in a group home. Her husband makes a little more than she does, but he does back breaking labor for it. With 3 kids and just life in general, you can't afford $600 a month for insurance, which is what it would cost them. Luckily they didn't lose their house, it's in my dads name and will stay that way for now.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012