Thread: Dog whisperer.
View Single Post
Old July 21st, 2006, 02:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
There are other ways of maintaining a dog's focus than tapping him in the a** with your foot..
This is true, but I guess it depends on what tools you have with you. A can of pennies works well (sometimes) for distracting my chow mix, but if I had nothing with me or she wasn't responding to the pennies I would probably tap her on the butt or smack her on the butt with her leash.
Also it depends on the dog I suppose. If my chow mix is fixated on something almost nothing works, you can run at her, clap your hands, snap your fingers, stomp, yell, etc. she'll just ignore you. She's also a dog that can pull the leash out of my hands or pull me over if I let her, so distracting her quickly is essential.
My collie however, if I were to get physical with him, he would probably put his tail between his legs and lay down in fear, all he needs to get his attention is a snap of the fingers or a whistle, even speaking to him in a firm voice scares him. Dogs like him aren't the ones I've seen on the dog whisperer though, because I'd guess they're less likely to have obedience problems.