View Single Post
Old April 29th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

My cat, Aztec, is going to be 18 in a week and he has severe arthritis (as well as diabetes, CRI, and HCM). For the arthritis, he gets green lipped mussel extract, MSM, Adequan injections, acupuncture, osteopathy treatments, and heating pads and orthopedic pet beds in various spots around the house. Although none of that is a cure, it does help to keep him happy and reasonably mobile (he can still go up and down stairs, jumps up on the bed, bops the kittens on the head when they're annoying). I personally would stay away from the prescription diets, but that's just me. The ingredients are horrific (as you can see below), and you can supplement your cat's diet on your own for much cheaper. Look into Omega3 fish oils, green lipped mussel, Cosequin or Dasaquin, and talk to your vet about Adequan injections.

Quote:
Pearled Barley, Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Meal, Rice, Wheat Gluten, Chicken Fat, Oat, Natural Flavour, Fish Oil, Powdered Cellulose, Soybean Oil, Chicory Pulp, Calcium Sulphate, Potassium Chloride, Ground Psyllium Husk, Fructo-Oligosaccharides, DL-Methionine, Green Lipped Mussel Powder, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Brewer’s Yeast Extract (Source of Mannan-Oligosaccharides), Potassium Citrate, Choline Chloride, Taurine, L-Lysine, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Vitamins (DL-Alpha-Tocopherol [Source of Vitamin E], L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate [Source of Vitamin C], Niacin, Biotin, Riboflavin [Vitamin B2], D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [Vitamin B6], Vitamin A Acetate, Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement and Vitamin D3 Supplement), Chondroitin Sulphate,

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler