View Single Post
Old May 22nd, 2010, 02:21 AM
Senior Contributor

I did find this on wiki, regarding the vizsla:

Quote:
However, they must be trained gently and without harsh commands or strong physical correction, as they have sensitive temperaments and can be easily damaged if trained too harshly.
I don't agree with training ANY dog harshly, but some dogs/breeds do tend to brush off harsh treatment more easily than others. GSDs tend to be like this, rottweilers, etc. That type of working breed, which is why they are used for protection animals. Big dominant type dogs.
If viszlas tend to be the type of dog that doesn't easily brush off harsh treatment (and of course it will vary by individual, but we're generalizing here for example sake) then I could see them showing aggression with harsh handling.

I had a minpin in they are similar in that way. Minpins tend to respond to harsh treatment by biting back and not backing down at all. Harsh training methods will make these dogs very aggressive in a ton of situations. So an owner that tries to make the dog submit by physical means is more likely to be bitten or have aggressive behavior directed at them. Even if the dog is not an inherently aggressive individual.
Some of this I think has to do with pain tolerance. My minpin would stub his toe and lift his foot and yelp as if in severe pain. Where as my GSD mix would run directly into the corner of the coffee table and act like absolutely nothing happened.